Share this page
LATEST: Online bookings have now now closed. It will still be possible to register on Sunday at the Preston Park Velodrome. We will be there between 7.00am and 6.45pm to take your registration for the Around the World Cycle Challenge or (until 9.45am) the Living Coast Rides.
BHT’s Around the World Cycle Challenge takes place on Sunday 1 July 2018.
This exciting cycling event on the country’s oldest cycling track will raise much needed funds for BHT’s First Base Day Centre, which provides a range of support for people who are street homeless in Brighton & Hove.
BHT’s First Base Day Centre is Brighton’s largest resource centre for the provision of support to people who are street homeless or vulnerably housed locally. It aims to help this group move away from sleeping rough or insecure accommodation and realise their aspirations through work, learning and creativity and finding a place they can call home.
As well as specialist services and healthcare provision, a variety of creative groups and recreational activities are run at First Base, which offer clients the opportunity to discover new interests and learn new skills to support them to move away from their current lifestyle.
First Base provides a safe pace where other partner agencies can work, facilitating their delivery of healthcare, learning, training, and employment and housing services for clients.
Last year 508 people accessed support at First Base Day Centre and prevented 221 cases of homelessness.
How The Challenge Will Work
The clock starts at 7am, when cyclists of all ages will take to their pedals to cycle as many laps as possible around the velodrome.
The aim is to reach the combined target of 69,215 laps or 40,075km: the circumference of the world!
The challenge will continue throughout the day until 7pm, so join in the fun at any time during the day and take to the track for as many or as few laps as you can manage. Set your own pace, and most importantly, enjoy yourself!
Get your family, friends and work colleagues involved too! This is a family-friendly event with two designated family sessions that run between 10am and 12noon and between 2pm and 4pm.
Don’t own a bike? Don’t worry! Why not take the challenge on an exercise bike at your gym? All we need to know is how many kilometres you cycle so that we can add it to our grand total.
There are cycling lanes leading to the park from the city centre. Parking areas can be found at the north and south of the park, however please be aware that parking restrictions are enforced on Sundays. The number 5 & 5A bus routes stop at Preston Park.
BHT flags will be positioned at the entrance of the Velodrome. Follow the signs to the registration point to check-in.
- 7am to 9am: Club cyclists only
- 9am to 10am: General cycling (Adults & children aged 11 and above)
- 10am to 12noon: Family cycling
- 12noon to 2pm: General cycling (Adults & children aged 11 and above)
- 2pm to 4pm: Family cycling
- 3pm to 7pm: General cycling (Adults & children aged 11 and above)
Throughout the event the following facilities will be available:
- first aid point
- bicycle station for minor repairs
- refreshments for participants and spectators to purchase
- free water: please bring your own bottle
All cyclists are required to wear a cycle helmet to take part. Children aged 12 and under must be supervised by a parent or guardian.
All cyclists should pay attention to other riders around them while on the track. Please keep a distance of five metres between you and the rider in front to reduce the risk of accidents.
Marshalls wearing high-visibility jackets will be stationed around the track to assist you with any issues you may have.
What to Bring
As a minimum, you should bring the following:
- a water bottle (there will a tap for you to top up)
- your bike helmet
- a fully charged mobile phone
- bicycle pump
- spare inner tubes and a puncture repair kit
Also, don’t forget your sponsorship donations!
Raising Money for BHT’s First Base Day Centre
While this challenge is all about having fun, there is a serious cause behind it.
BHT relies on donations to provide vital services, and every contribution makes a difference. This event is being held to raise money for First Base Day Centre which provides services to men and women sleeping rough in Brighton and Hove.
We hope that you choose to raise money for First Base, but if you would prefer to raise money for a different charity the easiest way to do this is through Justgiving where there are a large selection of charities to choose from (details below).
Adults: £100 Children: £50
Please use the above suggested sponsorship as a guide. While it would be fantastic if every participant raised this much, every penny counts, and we are extremely grateful for all money raised.
Setting up a JustGiving page can be a great way to raise money and track your sponsorship.
You can do this by:
- Visiting www.justgiving.com to register
- Go to just.ly/greaterbrightoncyclechallenge (or select a charity of your choice)
- If you’re fundraising for BHT click on Fundraise for us, then select the Organised event option
- Search for the Greater Brighton Cycle Challenge 2018 event and select it
- Click on Create your page. This takes you to your brand new fundraising page. This is your opportunity to upload a personalised photo, set your fundraising target and tell your story.
- make sure you update your fundraising page with your offline donations too, as donors will like to see all the money you have raised so far
- share your JustGiving page on your Facebook page and other social media accounts
- email your JustGiving page to all of your contacts with a personal message asking for support (you may be surprised who responds!)
- don’t forget to thank your donors who donate to you online
Simply bring the money that you raise along with you at the event on Sunday 1 July 2018, or send a cheque to:
Jo Berry, Head of Fundraising, Marketing & PR, BHT, 144 London Road, Brighton BN1 4PH.
Please mark your cheque with the reference: Cycle Challenge
To keep up-to-date with all the news and information about this event:
- Follow us on Twitter (@BHT_Sussex / #BHTCycleChallenge)
- Join the Facebook event ‘BHT Cycle Around the World 2018’