Job title: Befriending Volunteer (Mental Health) – Archway
The Archway Project is a 24 hour residential service comprising of a five and a nine bed house, for people with mental health support needs in Hove.
Both services have a recovery and person-centred focus, working collaboratively with residents in intensive short term placements. The aim is to enable people to move on to more independent living within two years.
Our goal is to work collaboratively with clients and focus on what matters most to them. To empower people to lead on their own recovery with more self-awareness and confidence.
We are looking for 2x Befrienders who are confident in engaging with people who have a history of being devalued, disempowered or denied opportunities to enjoy a range of activities and experiences.
What can the role offer you?
- A real sense of achievement and high levels of self-satisfaction in witnessing a group of people develop. Pride in knowing that you have helped to give them a worthwhile and meaningful experience.
- A chance to connect with like-minded people
- An opportunity to advance your career, improve your CV or develop a range of transferable skills
- An opportunity to support a cause that you believe in, and to make a significant impact through volunteering
- A chance to have fun, try new activities and share your skills with others
- Someone who is interested in other people
- Someone who is a good listener, empathetic and friendly
- Someone one who is reliable and able to maintain professional boundaries and time keeping
- Able to volunteer 1 day a week (or more)
Ideally volunteering with us will provide you with the opportunity to bring your own hobbies and skills to help facilitate engagement. However, it is not essential for you to be qualified in group work, just that you have confidence to chat and engage with people and their interests such as card games, walking, cooking, etc.
If you are interested in becoming a befriending volunteer, please submit your application with cover letter explaining why you would like to volunteer with us.
Why volunteer with us? Below is one of our current volunteers describing his experience:
Volunteering at Archway gives me a real sense of achievement and fulfilment. I am here twice a week and over the last 2.5 years I’ve volunteered I can honestly say I get a real pleasure out of the hope that I am changing someone’s life- be it for the afternoon or long-term. I simply love turning up and taking the residents for coffee, helping them sign up for courses or simply listening to music and chatting.”
Most importantly, this is what our client said about the support he receives from a volunteer:
The volunteer is such a terrific guy. You can have a laugh with him but his also a good listener. He gives useful advice and helps me towards my goals such as dealing with my voices and going out. When I had really bad voices He spent time with me and helped me calm down.”