Reference Number: 08
Hours per Week: 37
Position: Management Accountant
Location: BHT Sussex, 144 London Road, Brighton
Salary: £45,841 per annum
Closing Date: TBC
Interview Date: TBC
About the role:
To assist the Finance Manager in delivering an effective accounting service, including preparation of the annual budget, timely and accurate management accounts, statutory year end accounts and related management information.
As the Management Accountant you will:
- To liaise with the Finance Manager in the delivery of accurate and timely monthly management accounts and quarterly forecasting, including the capture and investigation of remedial action taken or required by budget holders.
- Lead in meetings with budget holders in order to support them in the management of their budgets, providing them with the necessary information, advice and guidance to manage their budgets successfully.
- Assist the Finance Manager with the annual budget setting and preparation process, including rent setting, by updating budget packs, aiding budget holders and reviewing completed packs submitted.
- Manage the Rent Officer role and oversee the rent accounting function.
- Income management – design and oversea the production of monthly arrears reports for the Income Management monthly meeting, Senior Management Team and Operational Managers Team. Investigate, analyse and report reasons for variances from target.
- Organise and lead the Omniledger Champions Working Group in order to share best practice in rent accounting across the organisation.
- Repair budgetary control – Design and produce detailed budgetary control reports for the Director of Housing and Property Services, including the monitoring of spend against the Major Works Plan.
- Perform cost benefit analysis, including the detailed analysis of service charge costs to ensure that they are fully recovered.
Financial Accounting responsibilities include:
- Assist the Finance Manager in ensuring that all accounting records of BHT Sussex are maintained in accordance with relevant legislation and accounting standards.
- Assist the Finance Manager in ensuring that all regulatory returns, statutory returns and claims to funding bodies are submitted on time and in the appropriate format.
- prepare the draft accounts in statutory format for BHT Sussex liaising with senior members of the Finance Team to ensure that the accounts are correct.
- Liaising with BHT Sussex’s external auditors in delivering the annual audit of the year end statutory accounts, ensuring that queries are promptly resolved
- Ensure that all Nominal Ledger transactions are posted accurately, that journal adjustments are properly approved, and proper audit trails exist for all transactions going into the Nominal Ledger.
- Perform the timely operation of month-end routines, ensuring that key control account details/files are downloaded at the appropriate time to aid control account reconciliations and to complete balance sheet reconciliations assigned to them.
Systems responsibilities include:
- Continuously identify opportunities to identify to develop and improve the financial systems in use in the Finance Department, together with interfaces with subsidiary systems, such as the housing management system.
- Taking the initiative in identifying process improvements and designing tools for more efficient and effective working processes and for solving problems.
- Act as Finance Department contact for intranet content
- Strong operational and organisational skills
- Ability to work with databases and complex spread sheets with advanced Excel skills
- Ability to translate accountancy theory into practice
- Good verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships
- A structured approach and effective time management skills including the ability to prioritise workloads to meet deadlines
- An effective team player
- An understanding of, and commitment to, equality and diversity
- Able to receive and act on feedback in a positive and constructive way
- Committed to the aims, values and objectives of BHT Sussex
About BHT Sussex
BHT Sussex is a housing association and a homeless charity. We provide services across Brighton & Hove, Eastbourne and Hastings, as well as elsewhere in Sussex. We see it as our role to both challenge the causes of homelessness, poverty and marginalisation and to deal with the consequences.
You will also receive a fantastic benefits package including:
- Medical cash plan with Medicash
- Free and confidential employee assistance helpline for both personal and work-related concerns (including a 24hr confidential helpline, access to counselling sessions, legal and financial support & advice)
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Free new starter 30-day Brighton bus pass
- A competitive salary for comparative roles in the sector
- 5.5% employer’s pension contribution (the level of this is reviewed annually)
- Generous holiday allowance starting at 27 days per annum pro rata, rising 1 day for each year of service to a maximum of 32 days pro rata
- A supportive environment that recognises the contributions of individual staff and team
- A culture of continuous development and creative approaches to support
- Personal, professional and career development opportunities (BHT Sussex is a leading provider of voluntary sector training in Brighton & Hove and we offer opportunities to develop your learning, skills and experience
- Career prospects with purpose and the opportunity to make a difference
How to Apply:
Step 1: Read the Job Description & Person Specification
Step 2: Attach your CV to an email. The title of the email should read: (Your name): BHT job reference – (job reference number).
Step 3: Send your email to email@example.com
A Basic DBS Check (Disclosure and Barring Service) is required on all successful applicants as a condition of employment for this post.
BHT Sussex is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from anyone with the requisite skills and experience. We are committed to an organisational culture that values people from all backgrounds, and welcome applications from all members of the community.