Homelessness and Housing Issues

If you are concerned about someone living on the streets then you can use Street Link. This connects people experiencing homelessness with the support services, like BHT Sussex, local to them. It is best to contact Street Link on their website or mobile app, but if necessary you can also get in touch via phone on 0300 500 0914. Using the information you provide, outreach teams and local services will find individuals, assess their needs and move them into accommodation.

Please note, if you think the person you are worried about is under 18 years of age then you should instead call the police. Call 999 immediately in a medical emergency.

  • Contact your local council. You should be able to get help or advice from your local council (also known as your local authority) – you can find their details on the gov.uk website.
  • Search for a service near you. Homeless England is an online directory from Homeless Link which contains thousands of homelessness services across England, including accommodation, day centres and support services. You can also search this directory for your local council Housing department.
  • Ask your housing association.If you rent a home from a housing association or social landlord, they may offer advice and assistance including hardship payments.
  • Contact your local MP. You can find your MP via the search bar on the official Parliament UK page. MPs are often contacted by constituents facing housing problems. Although housing matters are dealt with by your local council, your MP can help by representing you and talking to your council about your situation.
  • Citizens Advice - free independent information and advice on housing, money and other related problems.

03444 111 444 (England)
03444 77 20 20 (Wales)

  • Shelter- free, confidential advice on housing problems in England.

0808 800 4444 (Monday–Friday 8am–8pm and weekends 8am–5pm)

  • Stonewall Housing - specialist housing advice for anyone identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (England only).

020 7359 5767 (Monday–Friday 11am–1pm and 2pm–5pm)

  • Samaritans- 24-hour emotional support for anyone who needs to talk. Calls are free from all providers.

116 123 (24 hours a day)

To be eligible for Legal Aid you need to be in receipt of passported benefits such as Universal Credit, income related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support, or on a low income. If you have savings of more than £8000 you are unlikely to be eligible.

You can check whether you are eligible by using the Government’s Eligibility Checker.

There are many reasons why someone may be homeless and often these reasons may be interlinked:

  • Eviction from property or not being able to afford tenancy
  • A relationship breakdown
  • Drug or alcohol addiction
  • Cuts to benefits
  • Leaving the Armed Forces
  • Unemployment
  • Mental health problems
  • Having suffered domestic violence
  • Refugees or immigrant
  • Having been in care
  • Debt
  • Having previous experience of homelessness

You can join us in our mission to combat homelessness by donating towards our work today, or by undertaking one of our fundraising activities. You can also volunteer your time to help at one of our projects or events.

Our First Base Day Centre, which provides food, showers, clothes and advice to homeless people in Brighton and Hove, is often looking for donations of useful items such as towels and underwear. Items can either be purchased from our Amazon Wish List, or dropped off at First Base itself at:

St Stephens Hall, Montpelier Place, Brighton, BN1 3BF

or at our head office:

144 London Road, Brighton, BN1 4PH.

Skip to content